Wednesday 2 May 2007

Exhaustion

I worked for Boss today. Normally when I know I am being paid for the work I do I work extra hard, because somehow I feel that I need to prove to both myself and Boss that I am worth the fortnightly payslip in my pigeon hole. But today, I just couldn’t muster the extra energy that I expect from myself. I didn’t even feel guilty when I spent most of the afternoon laughing with my lab mate. I just don’t have any internal resources left to give a damn, I feel stretched to capacity. The thought that I have to wake up tomorrow and do it all over again is almost stomach-churning.

But I will wake up tomorrow morning, have the same breakfast I have everyday (avocado on whole-grain toast) and go to uni, because giving up is simply not an option, no matter how tempting spending the day under the blankets in bed appears.

1 comment:

post-doc said...

Having spent my share of days huddled under the covers, I'll congratulate you on working through the exhaustion and continuing to attempt work. I hope things get easier soon.