Thursday 31 May 2007

Goodbyes

I have said goodbye to many friends this year, as they pack up and leave for the other side of the world. Some are planning on coming back, while others have a one way ticket. I guess its that point in our lives where we have all finished our undergraduate degrees and worked for a while, and are asking what next?, and from that making some decisions for the long-term. I chose to start a doctoral degree, while the majority of my friends are looking to further their careers overseas.

A close friend that I met in my first year of university left today. She rang me from the airport this morning for one final goodbye and I felt so overwhelmed with sadness that another friend was leaving. It feels as though everyone else is moving forward in their lives, but because I am ‘still at uni’ I have somehow been left behind a little bit. I am still living the lifestyle of a student while my friends working a nine-to-five job in the city have moved on from that.

1 comment:

i.don't.wear.skinny.jeans said...

come on now - grad school is the informed choice. working life is overrated.

but goodbyes are always tough;/