Tuesday 21 August 2007

My Boss called from Europe today, and I had a really great chat to him. He always says such thoughtful and measured comments in regards in Advisor A. He reminded me of the importance of knowing when to leave a (bad) situation, and when it's worth fighting to stay.


Secretly I wanted him to say ‘ditch Advisor A’s sorry ass and come over to my research group’ but I know that for him, politically within the department and professionally, it’s not that easy. Taking the place of ex-Advisor B was a generous step for him, and I can’t ask for anything else. I’ve always found the thought of someone swooping in and ‘rescuing’ me, without having to take any risks myself, excruciatingly tempting. But part of this kafuffle is working it out on my own, otherwise I guess the whole experience would have been worthless. Damn, I hate responsibility!

No comments: