Thursday 26 April 2007

Directions

My Boss gave me some sage advice a few months ago, he said to me to be careful of becoming a ‘mini Advisor A’. At the time I didn’t really understand the warning. But I can see, now that I am a tiny bit further down the track, how easy it is to just follow in your advisor’s footsteps, using measures, paradigms and analyses that they have been using for many years before. I don’t want to tread the same worn path as Advisor A, but with time (and recruitment) restraints, I have had to acquiesce, for now, to her forceful nudge in the direction she feels most comfortable with. When I told Boss of this outcome, he just chuckled knowingly and said there was plenty more time to develop my research in a different direction later on. I just feel like a little bit of a cop out.

1 comment:

PG said...

I know what you mean about this...I'm probably guilty of just propogating the same mediocre theories as my advisor. Adding, at most, a small quirk onto a new manuscript. But I justify it as a mechanism to get me from point A to point B. Point B, hopefully, is where I actually get to make the impact I want to make.