Tuesday 17 April 2007

Unfocused jitters

I've been feeling uncomfortably restless for the last few days, and I can't quite pin-point why. I’ve never been good with change. I like to have everything planned out in my head. I guess things have just been really different lately.

After my productive Friday, I hit a definite lull in efficiency (to put it mildly). I had an extra few hours today, with last minute cancelled meetings, and I just couldn't focus. When I found myself drifting in and out of my office-mate’s conversation to their real estate agent, I gave up and went home. It’s been a sluggish day. I have good intentions, but I just can’t translate that to actual advances. Advisor A is not the type of person to give direction and support, which leaves me feeling a little aimless. Although, if I am realistic about what I expected the first few months to be, I knew that I would struggle with the structured-less-ness of it all. When (if) I have my great!idea and a from that a detailed research plan, I hope things start to get a little easier.

In more positive news, my abstract was accepted to be presented at a conference. My very first one. I am torn between excitement and blind fear.

1 comment:

Princess Pointful said...

Hi! Nice to meet another fellow psyc grad student.

I'm officially doing my first conference talk in less than a week, and have been too busy moving to even think about it. Now I'm starting to ruminate... ahhh!